Disability in SCA Period through Art and Theater Alienor Hathaway 146537@members.eastkingdom.org Introduction to some of the recent disability scholarship on cognitive, physical, and mental disability throughout time and lands covered by the SCA. The attitudes and language in period ranged from distressing attitudes of monstrosity to thoughtful consideration. As examples, we will consider Shakespeare's portrayals of disability and artistic renderings of disability. Please be aware that the language and images from original sources can be distressing Detail of Old Age, portrayed as a woman with a crutch from the Roman de la Rose, Harley MS 4425 , f. 10v https://blogs.bl.uk/digitisedmanuscripts/2016/09/disability-and-illnesses-in-medieval-manuscripts.html St. Pantaleon restored the sight of a blind man, Chartres Cathedral https://www.cathedrale chartres.org/en/mediasrc/disabled-people-in-the-stained-glass-windows-of-chartres-cathedral/ “Th...
Popular posts from this blog
Praise Poem
I read a praise poem while doing some research on what makes a period Celtic Bard. As it happens, Bard in the original Celtic sense was extremly difficult to attain and involved years of training and was very high in rank. The term was adapted later to define a poet. This poem is actually based on a Taliesin poem. In the name of the stars, the populace of Northshield call Our rise against our foe-- The shield of your kinsman. Stephen, King by right I praise you with the aclaim of the Bards. Strong, worthy of name With view of Griffin's light The song of thunder of oncoming storm Words-woven to praise Won by arms by right Holds my oath, no harm befall him. Based on the poem praising Gwallawg
Make Cakes
https://rarecooking.com/2020/12/01/instructiones-to-make-cakes/ This week is cookie or biscuit. These kinds of “cakes” are what we would call cookies now. I intended to do biscotti and caught a cold, so did something easier. As a trained archivist, I love the blog’s name I got the recipe from! I had to salvage these because somehow I got too much flour. Essentially, they are a nice shortbread, I think the flour proportions are off. They turned out delicious, the eighth teaspoon of clove gives it a nice flavor without being overpowering.
Comments
Post a Comment