Sunday, June 27, 2010

More Book Curses--and my own!


A few more links I found:

http://www.library.vcu.edu/preservation/curse.html
http://ucblibraries.colorado.edu/specialcollections/exhibits/past/ploughing/index.htm

I was trying to work on a poem for "inspiration" but these curses make me laugh. So, inspired by a favorite curse all around--book in the Monastery of San Pedro in Barcelona I wrote my own.

The Original:

For him that stealeth, or borroweth and returneth not, this book from its owner, let it change into a serpent in his hand & rend him. Let him be struck with palsy, & all his members blasted. Let him languish in pain crying aloud for mercy, & let there be no surcease to his agony till he sing in dissolution. Let bookworms gnaw his entrails in token of the Worm that dieth not, & when at last he goeth to his final punishment, let the flames of Hell consume him for ever.

 from a book in the Monastery of San Pedro in Barcelona

I wasn't found of the rhyme from this one but I did like the sentiment.
Whoever steals this Book of Prayer
May he be ripped apart by swine,
His heart be splintered, this I swear,
And his body dragged along the Rhine
(early 16th c)

This is mine--inspired by the Book Curse genre and Dr. Seuss!

Curse from Alienor's Booke of Common Prayer

If thou should steal this book of prayer,
Thou are not welcome anywhere.
Every door shall close to thee,
Wanderer thou are and shall always be.
Neither God's Angels nor Hell below,
Shall take thee, where shall you go?
Stay to the Earth and wander far,
Cursed be, the thief you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment